Lamberg Castle first appeared in historical documents as "Stirapurch" in 980.
The remains of the former fortress can only be seen in fragments of the mighty bailey. In the 11th century the Castle was the residence of the Otokar Dynasty. In 1727 the whole structure was destroyed by a great fire. As a result the Castle was completely rebuilt in lavish Baroque style by the Counts of Lamberg. The Lamberg Castle Library and the precious sandstone figures can be admired in the castle´s inner courtyard.
The "Steyr Music Festival" with productions from operettas and musicals takes place in the Schlossgraben every summer. July / August 2021 "The Man of La Mancha".
CONFLUENCE - ENNS AND STEYR
Next to the Schlossberg, the Steyr river flows into the Enns river and gives together with the castle and Michaelerkirche a particularly picturesque view.
The water tower, built in the 16th century at the confluence between Enns and Steyr, still shows all the high water marks of the last centuries and shows how much the city suffered from the regular flooding.
In 2002 the rivers rose up to the city center, a flood of the century.
Innerberger Stadel was built as a granary and warehouse in 1611. Today, the historic building houses the Municipal Museum of Steyr. The historic storehouse is a two-gable Renaissance building with facades that are lavishly decorated with sgraffitto. Steyr was at the heart of Austria's iron industry for centuries and the legacy of this thriving trade is on display at the Museum. Exhibits include folk art collections, a nail forge, the Steinparz Bird Collection and weapons from the production of industrialist Josef Werndl.
"STEYRER NIGHT WATCHMAN"
A night watchman/woman in traditional clothing carrying a lantern and halberd takes you on a tour through the romantic medieval town to the top of the parish church spire, telling you the tales and legends of long ago days.
Tours are also avaible with catering. The evening menu is served at various locations in the city as part of the tour.
STROLL TROUGH STEYRDORF
The oldest district of Steyr. Dunklhof Arcades: this residential building dates back to the 15th century and was seat of the lower jurisdiction. The inner courtyard features a magnificent 16th century arcade with lavishly decorated columns and ornamental corner.
Red fountain: here, in the centre of the Steyrdorf district, stands the "Roter Brunnen" or red fountain, named after its former copper roof. The people who lived in the houses around the square took water for drinking and did their laundry at the fountain.
The moat around Steyr was already populated by craftsmen in the 12th century.
A 1,5 km long flume provided the necessary power for the enterprises. In the 19th century, the moat became home to a typical, now historically valued industrial landscape. Here, Josef Werndl's weapons factory was transformed into one of the largest industrial enterprises of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
CHRISTKINDL PILGRIMAGE CHURCH
The church is the centre of the world-famous pilgrimage site Christkindl and was built by Giovanni B. Carlone and Jakob Prandtauer. The shrine above the globe-shaped tabernacle houses is a ten centimetre tall wax baby Jesus statue.
Today, the place is world famous for its purpose-built temporary Christmas post office that opens its door every year by late November and answers innumerable letters from children. A perfect way to get in the right mood for Christmas is to admire the elaborate mechanical Steyr Crèche and the elaborate Pöttmesser Crib.
STEYR VALLEY MUSEUM RAILWAY
Austria's oldest 760 mm narrow-gauge railway. The 17km long track leads from Steyr to Grünburg trough protected meadows along the Steyr river. The lovingly restored locomotive andd carriages make it hard to believe that they have already been in operation for more than 125 years.